Last modified on October 29th, 2020 at 2:44 am
Plants are not just for aesthetic purposes because they have more to offer than just their external beauty. Even before the birth of modern civilization, human beings have been using plants as food, shelter, disease treatment, and even for rituals. Today, plants are being used as raw materials, widely utilized in manufacturing medicines, food supplements, beauty products, and other health and wellness products that enhance human existence.
In this article, you’ll learn the most useful plants for human beings. This can be used as your reference when you unleash the beauty and use of plants around you, specifically in your backyard.
Hemp, which is a relative of cannabis but without psychoactive effect, is commonly used for agricultural purposes, like the ancient civilizations in China and the Middle East. Today, hemp plants are grown all around the world.
Hemp plants have long been cultivated to produce different products. Check out the uses of hemp plants:
- Hemp is used to make clothing, such as socks, slacks, and pants.
- Hemp oil can be used as a fuel source, primarily as a substitute for wood and oil.
- Hemp can also be used as a fertilizer. You can make compost and use it to help out with the plants in your garden or fertilize your lawn.
- Hemp is also used to make paper. Paper made from hemp has almost the same qualities as paper made from trees.
- Hemp is also used to make food supplements, such as full-spectrum CBD oil. With impressive CBD half life that matches the human body’s endocannabinoids, CBD oil is thought to provide plenty of health benefits.
Technically a kind of grass, bamboo is an evergreen perennial flowering plant that belongs in the grass sub-family, Bambusoideae (Poaceae).
So, what makes bamboo trees useful? The versatile bamboo plant has been used by humans for thousands of years to make domestic items (like tools and bowls), handy weapons, and even as food.
Here are the benefits and uses of bamboo:
- Durable construction material: Since bamboo is a durable raw material–it has close rigidity with hardwood–it’s an attractive investment in various industries. That’s why, it’s used for furniture-making and in the construction of garden sheds, decks, and other outdoor and even indoor features. Bamboo plants can also withstand high temperatures, which adds to the durability factor of this plant.
- A beautiful addition to your lawn: Bamboo has attractive green and brown colors that can look nice for lawns. Certain varieties of bamboos are also grown for decorative purposes or as indoor house plants.
- Minimum maintenance: One of the biggest advantages of bamboo plants is that they require little maintenance.
Unlike other types of invasive grasses, bamboos can grow in small spaces without any restrictions. Specific variants can also thrive in small spaces or in areas where other grasses can’t survive. In addition, they can also withstand the weather of all seasons, making them easier to maintain. Lastly, they’re drought-resistant and require very little water.
- Innovative Material: Bamboo has become popular due to its versatility and flexibility. You can create a lot of things out of bamboo these days, such as a bamboo toothbrush and other essential items.
The uses of coconut are quite broad. Also known as ‘the tree of life,’ all parts of this versatile plant could be used in many industries. For many years, coconut oil has been used for cooking or making beauty products.
Here are some facts about coconut oils:
- Today, coconut oil is widely used in manufacturing hair and skincare products, such as lotions, face creams, soaps, and shampoos. The reason for its popularity is because it may make the skin softer and smoother.
- The oil also acts as a great source of essential fatty acids in the body. Fats, the good ones, are important in attaining good health. Ingesting pure coconut oil or adding it to your favorite meal or drink helps maintain proper levels of cholesterol. Also, the unsaturated fat content of coconut oil helps regulate hormone production in the body.
Herbal plants have many uses for humans, including the following:
- Herbs make dishes taste and smell better.
- Since they’re small and manageable to maintain, herbal plants are grown in urban home gardens because.
- Herbal plants are used as natural ingredients of health supplements to boost the immune system. They can be used to fight off common ailments such as colds. When taken cautiously, they can also be used to detoxify the body and assist in removing some toxins.
- These plants beautify the surroundings because of their colorful and fragrant smelling flowers, like lavender and sunflower.
Here are some of the commonly used herbal plants today:
- Aloe Vera
General Tips When Choosing Plants To Grow In Your Backyard
- To ensure that they’ll thrive in your area, research the plant’s species that you want to grow in your backyard. Furthermore, consider the water, climate, humidity, and nutritional requirements of the plant to ensure you’ll be able to dedicate time and effort scheduling their watering, fertilizing, and treating common plant problems.
- To avoid weed from growing with your plants, mow your lawn as needed. Doing so depletes them with the nutrients that they need to thrive. If you’re too busy, you can hire a professional to mow your lawn. But make sure to set a time to check your plants’ condition.
- Make sure to deter pests in your backyard by not leaving mulch or dead leaves behind. Clean the area and place all food scraps and mulch in a compost pit.
The most useful plants for humans include herbal plants, coconut, bamboo, and hemp plants. These examples of nature’s endless bounty are used to create tools, furniture materials, food supplements, paper, and many other useful things. Also, they’re used in manufacturing medicines, beauty products, and healthcare products.
Taking advantage of the above-mentioned plants will help you attain better health and improved quality of life. This is the reason why humans also need to protect them and grow them sustainably.